Friday, September 4, 2009

アイヨンシェフ

Great show, high on pure entertainment. One of my first exposures to Japanese culture. The host of Iron Chef is a Japanese millionaire who spent his fortune building a world-class kitchen arena. Challengers are invited to culinary battle with the Iron Chefs, each cook preparing dishes based on a "secret ingredient" determined each time. The action begins at 5:40 in this video, though the introduction is also worth watching. Unfortunately, they cut out the revealing of the theme ingredient at the end of this clip--great reaction from Kobayashi. You should be able to find the next part at the end of the video.

4 comments:

  1. だいすき~!!!!!!!
    I am SO glad you posted this! I absolutely used to LOVE Iron Chef! (The American version has NOTHING on the original Japanese version!) The Japanese Iron Chefs definitely have a greater emphasis on aesthetics than the American Iron Chefs, which is a part of the reason why I was more captivated by the Japanese version. GREAT POST!! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this was one of my favorite shows growing up. My dad and I watched every episode we could. Wow this brings back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Tanya. I used to love this show, and now the only eps they play on the Food Network is the one where Alton Brown hosts it. Personally I don't find it as creative. This is so nostalgic ahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! This is my first time watching the show. I think it is great. I believe there are many shows about foods in Japan, since I watched food fighters. The food fighters challenge each other by how much they can eat.

    ReplyDelete