Thursday, August 27, 2009

こんにちは

こんいちは、

ムラんです。This is my blog for First Year Japanese I. I am the old man in the class, having graduated from ND in 2007. I'm back in the Master's of Civil Engineering department, taking my first Japanese course on the side. I have attached photos of Tokyo's skyline and Kansai Airport on the site, scene of some of the world's most innovative structural, earthquake, and tsunami engineering.

I enjoy the challenge of learning a non-Romance language, of learning a new alphabet(s). Japanese culture and history have interested me for some time, and I felt that learning the language would make new learning and working experiences possible for me.

I hope you enjoy my insights on this page.

じゃあまた、
ムラん

7 comments:

  1. Great posts, looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Civil engineering?! That was my original intention when I first came to Notre Dame, but within the first half of the semester I realized it was NOT for me, haha. I remember learning about Taipei 101's massive, steel ball that was used to counter the swaying from earthquakes and other natural disasters. With the prevalence of earthquakes and other natural disasters in Japan, I'm sure they must have utilized some really creative methods to ensure the structural stability of their skyscrapers. I'd definitely be interested in learning more. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow Civil Engineering!Both of my parents majored in it when they were in college. I thought about majoring in it too when I applied for colleges, but when I chose courses I changed my mind because engineering maybe too hard for girls, especially I wanna have time to study abroad in Japan!anyway welcome back to ND!(haha it seems weird in saying [welcome back]to you because I'm just a freshmen but you have lived here already for four years!=))

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's awesome that you are learning a new language while getting your master's! I'm an engineer as well (or hope to be), so I sort of understand how balancing a challenging language like Japanese with engineering classes can be difficult (I'm taking 20 credit hours).

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree it's awesome you get to learn a new language. i'm hoping i'll be able to keep up my japanese in grad school or law school, wherever i end up. anyway, like the picture. haven't they built a few other airports in japan like that? i believe it's the new trend

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so awesome that you're up to taking another language with the workload you already have. And I agree, I'm really enjoying the challenge of learning Japanese. I took Spanish for five years and while I really liked it, Spanish isn't nearly as hard to learn as I'm finding Japanese is, haha. But, we're all working hard together, right? :)

    ReplyDelete